Asphalt Equipment Operator Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
MUSKOGEE, OK 74401, US
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Control material taken into the paver and the depths of material distributed through the machine.
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of the paving industry including preparatory work, grades, drainage, paving patterns, aggregate size, job sepcifications, oil consistencies, compaction and other details related to asphalt paving.
- Control paving machines to push dump trucks and to maintain a constant flow of asphalt or other material into hoppers or screeds.
- The operator is responsible for the efficient working condition of the equipment and is expected t perform minor servicing and maintenance or refer major problems to the supervisor.
- Cut or break up pavement and drive guardrail posts, using machines equipped with interchangeable hammers.
- Drive and operate curbing machines to extrude concrete or asphalt curbing.
- Place strips of material such as cork, asphalt, or steel into joints, or place rolls of expansion-joint material on machines that automatically insert material.
- Light burners or start heating units of machines, and regulate screed temperatures and asphalt flow rates.
- Fill tanks, hoppers, or machines with paving materials.
- Operate oil distributors, loaders, chip spreaders, dump trucks, and snow plows.
- Install dies, cutters, and extensions to screeds onto machines, using hand tools.
- Operate machines that clean or cut expansion joints in concrete or asphalt and that rout out cracks in pavement.
- Inspect, clean, maintain, and repair equipment, using mechanics' hand tools, or report malfunctions to supervisors.
- Coordinate truck dumping.
- Shovel blacktop.
- Control traffic.
- Set up and tear down equipment.
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Minimum of 1 year experience and/or training in a related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum of 3 years of road construction experience preferred.
- Must be 18 years in age or older.
- Must pass pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
- Must maintain current driver’s license that meets state requirements, i.e., CDL, Class A and/or B Driver with possible hazmat and tanker endorsements.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary; some overnight travel may be required.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls.
Compliance with all OSHA and/or MSHA regulations.
- Knowledge of aggregate sizes and classifications.
- Knowledge of trenching and shoring standards.
- Ability to operate equipment safely and efficiently under a variety of working conditions.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as being able to work independently with attention to detail.
Ability to operate heavy and complex equipment requiring skill and the exercise of independent judgment.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands to signal and handle equipment.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hands and arms above their shoulders.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move anywhere up to 50-75 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock or burn.
- The noise level in some areas of the work environment may be loud, but is typically moderate.
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
APAC Central Inc. is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Who We Are
Get what you want out of life with a global company building the world Imagine leveraging your military background and experience at a company that is building the world’s largest bridges, highways and skyscrapers.
We’re hiring the next generation of plant managers, engineers and operations experts.