Asphalt Plant Laborer - United Companies - Hayden, CO Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Hayden, CO 80488, US
Laborers and Production Workers
The Asphalt Paving Laborer is a skilled positiong involving control and operation multiple types of asphalt paving equipment and laborer duties. The career field for “Paving Laborer” includes, but may not be limited to, the following positions: Equipment Operator (Grade and Pave Crew), Heavy Equipment Operator, Roller Operator (Self-Propelled, Asphalt, Other than Asphalt), Motor Grader Operator (Rough Grade), Concrete Grinder/Milling Machine Operator, Backhoe Operator, Bobcat Operator, Bulldozer/Push Dozer Operator, Concrete Finishing Machine Operator, Asphalt Paver Machine Operator.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
• Drive machines onto truck trailers, and drive trucks to transport machines and material to and from job sites.
• Observe distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow, and indicate low spots for workers to add material.
• Control paving machines to push dump trucks and to maintain a constant flow of asphalt or other material into hoppers or screeds.
• Set up forms and lay out guidelines for curbs, according to written specifications, using string, spray paint, and concrete/water mixes.
• Cut or break up pavement and drive guardrail posts, using machines equipped with interchangeable hammers.
• Drive and operate curbing machines to extrude concrete or asphalt curbing.
• Place strips of material such as cork, asphalt, or steel into joints, or place rolls of expansion-joint material on machines that automatically insert material.
• Light burners or start heating units of machines, and regulate screed temperatures and asphalt flow rates.
• Fill tanks, hoppers, or machines with paving materials.
• Operate oil distributors, loaders, chip spreaders, dump trucks, and snow plows.
• Install dies, cutters, and extensions to screeds onto machines, using hand tools.
• Operate machines that clean or cut expansion joints in concrete or asphalt and that rout out cracks in pavement.
• Operates all types of asphalt paving equipment including; asphalt paver, screed, rollers, broom and skid steer
• The operator is responsible for the efficient working condition of the equipment and is expected to perform minor servicing and maintenance or refer major problems to the supervisor.
• May perform other related duties, such as adding or removing screed extensions, installing or removing automatic devices, grade log or other accessories associated with the machine.
• Thorough understanding of all aspects of the paving industry including preparatory work, grades, drainage, paving patterns, aggregate size, job specifications, oil consistencies, compaction and other details related to asphalt paving.
• Inspect, clean, maintain, and repair equipment, using mechanics' hand tools, or report malfunctions to supervisors.
• Coordinate truck dumping.
• Shovel blacktop.
• Control traffic.
• Set up and tear down equipment.
• Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
• Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Education/Experience
• Minimum of a high school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
• Minimum of 1 year experience and/or training in a related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of 3 years of road construction experience preferred.
• Must be 18 years in age or older.
• Must pass pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
• Must maintain current driver’s license that meets state requirements.
• Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
• Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
• Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
• Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
• Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary; some overnight travel may be required.
• Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls.
• Compliance with all OSHA and/or MSHA regulations.
• Knowledge of aggregate sizes and classifications.
• Knowledge of trenching and shoring standards.
• Ability to operate equipment safely and efficiently under a variety of working conditions.
• Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as being able to work independently with attention to detail.
• Ability to operate heavy and complex equipment that may include but not limited to Loader, Backhoe, Truck, Car, and Asphalt Paving Equipment requiring skill and the exercise of independent judgment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands to signal and handle equipment.
• The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hands and arms above their shoulders.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move anywhere up to 50-75 lbs.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
• Able to work in all weather conditions.
• While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
• The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; and risk of electrical shock or burn.
• The noise level in some areas of the work environment may be loud, but is typically moderate.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
United Companies is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Who We Are
Get what you want out of life with a global company building the world Imagine leveraging your military background and experience at a company that is building the world’s largest bridges, highways and skyscrapers.
We’re hiring the next generation of plant managers, engineers and operations experts.