Grade and Pave Superintendent - ICON Materials (Pacific, WA) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Pacific, WA 98047, US
Operations, Field & Plant Management
Directs and coordinates the activities of crews concerned with the construction of highway, streets, parking lots and other construction and grade/pave projects.
Receives very general guidance with respect to overall objectives; operates within department policy guidelines using independent judgment in achieving assigned objectives. Maintains a safe and secure work environment. Maintains project superintendent’s job results by selecting, orienting, and training new employees; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results. Ensures that safety standards and procedures are followed. Maintains morale, motivation and positive employee relations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Observes all safety standards and participates in the Company’s efforts to provide a safe work environment. Keeps work area clean and hazard free. Wears appropriate personal protective equipment – eye protection, hearing protectors, hardhat, safety vest, and respirator where required. Recognizes and corrects unsafe work practices and hazardous conditions or reports such conditions to appropriate personnel. Is aware of locations of material safety data sheets (MSDS) and refers to them when necessary.
- Conducts and documents weekly toolbox meetings.
- Studies specifications to plan procedures for construction based on starting and completion times. Plans resource requirements including personnel, equipment, trucking and materials.
- Schedules and coordinates resources needed to complete the job with the appropriate departments, subcontractors, and outside agencies.
- Visits job sites to review work to be performed and any special requirements or conditions.
- Continuously strives to improve customer satisfaction (internal and external). Provides for on-time delivery and meets customer quality and cost expectations. Actively seeks customer interface. Communicates and facilitates customer needs within the organization. Meets commitments made to customers.
- Maintains a professional approach when dealing with customers and employees. Shows honest and ethical behavior in business relationships and transactions. Resolves problems and conflicts in a timely and effective manner.
- Tours work site to ascertain progress in meeting time schedules and to detect insufficient utilization of workers and equipment.
- Monitors overtime to ensure adherence to estimate.
- Encourages teamwork within and between workgroups and crews. Promotes individual and team accountability for quality and product service.
- Completes construction requirements by scheduling and assigning employees and following up on work results. Assures that each employee understands what he/she is expected to contribute and achieve. Confronts and resolves performance issues in a timely and effective manner. Recognizes and rewards employees’ contributions and achievements.
- Reviews daily time tickets; makes corrections as needed and submits to office for processing.
- Ensures EEO compliance on all projects by hiring and terminating employees in accordance with the companies Affirmative Action Policy, completing the required forms when hiring or terminating an employee and submitting such forms to the appropriate personnel. Reviews Employment Utilization reports monthly to determine if affirmative action goals were met. Takes corrective action when necessary.
- Maintains a working relationship with the union by following the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending in-house training and development programs, educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Maintains internal and external customer relations.
- Other tasks and duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- Regular and timely attendance.
- Participate in and promote an inclusive work environment.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in a similar position preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of construction techniques and practices. Knowledge of city and county specifications. Knowledge of heavy construction equipment operation, maintenance and repair. Knowledge of job costing.
- Knowledge of OSHA, WISHA, and MSHA safety regulations.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- Skills needed include leadership, problem solving, decision making, organization, and supervisory.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Professional ethics, tact, and courtesy in dealing with management, team members, vendors and internal and external customers.
- Familiarity with MS Word and Excel and computer operation.
- Demonstrated ability to safely plan and set work priorities in a cost-effective manner.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
ICON Materials is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Who We Are
Get what you want out of life with a global company building the world Imagine leveraging your military background and experience at a company that is building the world’s largest bridges, highways and skyscrapers.
We’re hiring the next generation of plant managers, engineers and operations experts.