Lead Excavator Operator (Utilities) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Helena, MT 59601, US
Forklift, Equipment and Machine Operators
If you’re a skilled equipment operator looking for the next step in your career, our team can provide you with a fun and challenging opportunity to grow with an industry leader. In this role, you’ll operate an excavator and various other types of construction equipment (rollers, loaders, back hoes, track hoes, haul trucks, water trucks, etc.) as you work alongside our construction and utility crews. You’ll play an integral part as we stand together to reinvent the way our world is built.
If you’re someone that likes to see the visible results of your hard work each day, working outdoors, running equipment and being a part of building something great, this is the career path for you. The ideal candidate will have experience operating an excavator, and a desire to learn and grow. If you’ve got the drive, we’ll help you to reach your goals.
What You Can Do (Minimum Qualifications)
- You have a background in heavy civil construction, specifically grading, excavation, underground utilities, site work, and/or projects with related scopes. (3-6 years). Extensive experience as a lead excavator operator in utility installation.
- You’re passionate about providing coaching, mentoring, and feedback, as well as promoting a safe working environment for all employees.
- Ex Authorization to work, or the ability to obtain prior to start without company assistance.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Wage: DOE w/ potential for overtime. Work could include Davis Bacon Wages and Non-Davis Bacon Wages
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 401k with Roth option & 5% Company Match
- Profit Sharing
- 9 Paid Holidays (8 Static and 1 Floating)
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Short- & Long-Term Disability
- Potential for Overtime
- Opportunities for Internal Mobility
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Training Provided
- Earn More with our Employee Referral Program
- Company Discounts on products, goods, services, electronics, automotive, travel & more!
- Opportunities for Community Engagement
- Operate equipment safely and efficiently by utilizing equipment within its designed parameters.
- Operate equipment in confined and high traffic areas.
- Locate utilities and other buried lines prior to digging.
- Shovel earth/dirt to prepare ground trenches for pipes.
- Utilize equipment to remove earth and other debris in preparation for various utility projects.
- May dig up existing ground pipes and other debris with manual tools as needed.
- Safely attach various material to chains/guide wires.
- Set up and move laser level/tripod and pipe lasers.
- Knowledge of trenching and shoring standards.
- Perform job site clean-up.
- Perform minor servicing and maintenance or refer major problems to the supervisor.
- Keep machines cleaned and maintained.
- Keep time and material records.
- Travel to and from various locations.
- Lead team at job site.
- Routinely assist other members of the work force in different areas of production.
- May operate heavy equipment to include front end loader, excavator, backhoe, or other equipment as needed.
- Take action to avoid potential hazards or obstructions.
- Other tasks and duties as assigned to meet business needs.
- Regular and timely attendance.
- Participate in and promote an inclusive work environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
- Three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend blueprints, site specifications, simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to train others to their own level of proficiency.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Proficient at main line digging with excavator.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment physical fitness and agility test and drug screen.
- Must have current authorization to work in the United States
- Ability to travel outside Helena, MT. Travel will be required at times for this job and may require 50% or more during work season
- CDL a plus but not required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- GRIP – with at least 90 lbs. of force
- CLIMBING – in, around, and on equipment
- HEAVY LIFTING – of extremely awkward parts and equipment up to75 lbs. from floor to waist
- AWKWARD POSITIONS – getting to and from both sitting and kneeling on the ground
- FLEXIBILITY – awkward reaches
- BALANCE – including standing and walking on extremely slick and uneven surfaces while carrying.
- VISION – 20/40 corrected vision to see moving safety hazards, moving equipment, vehicles, and obstructions
- HEARING – corrected to hear verbal safety warnings and instructions from coworkers
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions and vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
- Occasionally exposed to high, precarious places and risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
- A diverse and inclusive culture that values opportunity for growth, development, and internal promotion
Helena Sand & Gravel, a CRH Company, is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Who We Are
Get what you want out of life with a global company building the world Imagine leveraging your military background and experience at a company that is building the world’s largest bridges, highways and skyscrapers.
We’re hiring the next generation of plant managers, engineers and operations experts.