Paving Superintendent - Grand Junction, CO Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Grand Junction, CO 81505, US
Operations, Field & Plant Management
• Ensure a safe work environment by overseeing compliance with all safety policies, conducting toolbox talks and ensuing personnel have the appropriate tools and equipment.
• Studies production schedules and estimates worker hour requirements for completing of job assignment; maintains time and production records.
• Interprets specifications, blue prints and job orders to workers and assign duties.
• Possess basic computer knowledge in order to become efficient in necessary computer programs.
• Be familiar with paver automation grade and slope control.
• Be knowledgeable in all aspects of work activities that are being supervised, including all paving equipment.
• May estimate, order and inspect materials. May determine tonnage and type of asphalt required and inform plants.
• Confers with customers, plant personnel, other supervisors, and subcontractors engaged in planning and executing work procedures, interpreting specifications and coordinating various phases of paving.
• Inspects work in progress, reviews materials used, and adjusts work schedules as appropriate.
• Directs appropriate traffic control methods and techniques wherever necessary.
• Completion of required paperwork on a daily, weekly and as needed basis.
• Control and operation of the screed on the asphalt paving machine
• Responsible for making normal operating adjustments for obtaining proper depth, grade and finished cross section.
• May perform other related duties such as adding or removing screed extensions, installing or removing automatic devices, grade log or other accessories associated with the machine.
• May also perform any and all related duties that pertain to asphalt paving operations.
• Assist construction/paving crew with various duties such as; shoveling, rakingand/or running wheelbarrow. Operation of power tools.
• Abide by the guiding principles of integrity, communication, recognition, action and results oriented, positive attitude, work ethic, growth and development, and commitment
• Display a professional and courteous attitude to co-workers, supervisors, and the general public at all times.
• Be able to interact with vendors, construction employees, and different levels of management
• Must possess a valid driver’s license to drive a company vehicle.
• Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
• Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
• Must have experience operating the Screed on an Asphalt Paving Machine.
• Cleanliness & neatness of all equipment, tools, desks, & computers is a must at all times.
• Report to the job site ready to begin work at the designated start time.
• Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Safety, Health & Environmental Handbook.
• Strict adherence to company policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
• Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers with other duties as required.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position are: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls.
Individuals must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations, using some combination of skills and abilities.
• Minimum high school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
• 5 years’ experience in construction industry with paving experience. Highway, urban street and chip seal experience preferred.
• Good communication skills
• Basic computer knowledge
Ability to comprehend and communicate to others the requirements of technical specifications, regulations, reports and manuals.
Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions; extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
- Pay range - $70,000 to $100,000
- Company Bonus up to 15%
- Company car when applicable
United Companies is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Who We Are
Get what you want out of life with a global company building the world Imagine leveraging your military background and experience at a company that is building the world’s largest bridges, highways and skyscrapers.
We’re hiring the next generation of plant managers, engineers and operations experts.