Pipe Crew Foreperson - Helena Sand & Gravel (Helena, MT) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Helena, MT 59604, US
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- This is a highly skilled position. That requires years of experience in the utility installation industry.
- Extensive knowledge of mainline pipe installation. Knowledge of trenching and shoring standards.
- Manage personnel in a safe and effective manner by providing onsite direction and guidance for employees during the course of the workday.
- Plan, troubleshoot and possess analytical skills schedule daily work assignments, assign priorities, requisition materials and equipment, in order to complete projects in a timely manner.
- Prepare and maintain required written records, logs, progress reports, time and weight tickets, attendance records and safety and inspection documents as required.
- Read and understand blueprints, charts, maps and other construction drawings and plans.
- Consult with other project supervisors and engineers, attend meetings, perform on-site inspections and conduct weekly safety meetings.
- Operate equipment safely and efficiently by utilizing equipment within its designed parameters.
- Locate utilities and other buried lines prior to digging.
- Perform pre and post shift inspection of equipment.
- Check equipment parts to ensure proper function of equipment.
- Performs daily safety and pre-task meetings.
- Assist with general labor and maintenance tasks as needed.
- Shovel earth/dirt to prepare ground trenches for pipes.
- May dig up existing ground pipes and other debris with manual tools as needed.
- Guide pipes into place while equipment operator maneuvers pipes attached with chains/guide wires.
- Attach trench box to chains/guide wires so it can be lowered or lifted by the equipment operator.
- Attach pipes to chains/guide wires.
- Cut pipe and connect pipe using misc. tools, lubricants, glue/grout.
- Set up and move laser level/tripod and pipe lasers.
- Perform job site clean-up.
- Fence off job site areas for safety purposes. Set up barricades and safety cones.
- Perform minor servicing and maintenance or refer major problems to the supervisor.
- Keep machines cleaned and maintained.
- Travel to and from various locations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred but not required;
- One to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Ability to read and comprehend blueptrints, site specifications, simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, but uninvolved written or oral instructions
- Valid driver’s license required. CDL a plus but not required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- GRIP – with at least 90 lbs. of force
- CLIMBING – in, around, and on equipment
- HEAVY LIFTING – of extremely awkward parts and equipment up to75 lbs. from floor to waist
- AWKWARD POSITIONS – getting to and from both sitting and kneeling on the ground
- FLEXIBILITY – awkward reaches
- BALANCE – including standing and walking on extremely slick and uneven surfaces while carrying.
- VISION – 20/40 corrected vision to see moving safety hazards, moving equipment, vehicles, and obstructions
- HEARING – corrected to hear verbal safety warnings and instructions from coworkers
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions and vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
- Occasionally exposed to high, precarious places and risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
To perform the job successfully; an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- JS_8.2.3,JS_18.104.22.168,JS_22.214.171.124,JS_8.2.5,JS_126.96.36.199,JS_188.8.131.52,JS_8.5.10,JS_184.108.40.206,JS_220.127.116.11,JS_8.5.11,JS_18.104.22.168,JS_22.214.171.124,JS_126.96.36.199,JS_188.8.131.52,JS_8.5.12,JS_184.108.40.206,JS_220.127.116.11,JS_18.104.22.168,JS_8.5.2,JS_22.214.171.124,JS_126.96.36.199,JS_188.8.131.52,JS_8.5.3,JS_184.108.40.206,JS_220.127.116.11,JS_18.104.22.168Oral Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
- Teamwork – Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests.
- Must be able to pass physical fitness and agility test.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment background check and drug screen.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Helena Sand & Gravel is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Who We Are
Get what you want out of life with a global company building the world Imagine leveraging your military background and experience at a company that is building the world’s largest bridges, highways and skyscrapers.
We’re hiring the next generation of plant managers, engineers and operations experts.