Production Manager - Montana City, MT Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Clancy, MT 59634, US
Operations, Field & Plant Management
Coordinates efforts with the Plant Manager in planning, organizing and scheduling activities of the employees working in the production department to produce cost effective clinker and cement, according to quality control specifications and plant production goals. Coordinates production activities with other departments to ensure shipping, maintenance and quarry activities are aware of production schedules. Works under general supervision with specified objectives and goals. Refers to supervisor for clarification or interpretation of plant and organization policies. Exercises direct and indirect supervision to employees involved in production operations, which ranges between 35-45 employees in plant and quarry operations.
- Ensures compliance of department with all safety procedures and training of personnel.
- Plans and schedules mill and kiln operations in coordination with maintenance, quality control, shipping and production personnel.
- Ensures efficient operation and scheduling of quarry workforce by the quarry supervisor.
- Establishes, assigns and communicates job responsibilities and schedules for employees involved in the production process.
- Supervises and evaluates job performance. Performs daily observation and inspection of operations.
- Establishes, documents and monitors employee training guidelines and benchmarks.
- Monitors and maintains records of attendance, absenteeism, vacations, overtime, personal leave, sick days and floating holidays for employees within supervisory responsibility.
- Participates and/or conducts safety meetings and training sessions, and ensures they are held on a regular basis. Monitors production operations to promote compliance with safety regulations.
- Orders safety equipment needed for production employees and checks to make sure they are used properly.
- Closely monitors control room operations and raw mill and finish mill-grinding operations. Assists control room operators and shift supervisors in resolving operational problems that will ensure production and quality goals are achieved. Ensures operators are trained properly and held accountable to utilize provided training resources.
- Coordinates incoming shipments of alternative fuels including waste oil, tire derived fuel (TDF) and other types of alternative fuels.
- Directs shipping supervisor in coordinating railroad and trucking activities. Ensure shipments are efficiently processed.
- Oversees and assists in the design and implementation of plant construction projects. Supervises and inspects work performed by outside contractors working on plant projects. Communicates with vendors as needed.
- Provides semiannual certification to Plant Manager and Environmental manager of compliance with environmental regulations assigned to Production department.
- Coordinates plant cleanup activities.
- Handles the first stages of discipline problems and grievances. Assists plant management, as requested, in resolving union problems and grievances.
- Communicates with vendors as necessary regarding new production equipment and supplies.
- Provides information on an ongoing basis to the Plant Manager regarding the status of current operations and manpower. Submits reports as requested by plant management.
- Monitors and controls inventories for raw materials, fuels, finished products, kiln refractory, grinding media and grinding aid chemicals. Informs plant management of same.
- Takes active role in development of annual budgets. Monitors department compliance with operating, capital and major maintenance budgets and adjusts activities to maintain operations within the budget.
- Maintains adequate inventories of imported raw materials and fuels. Works with vendors and railroad to ensure plant has adequate supply.
- Monthly report by 5th day of month on Production activities
- Kiln brick and pre-heat tower refractory selection and installation
- Performs other job-related duties as needed to ensure production schedules and quality standards are attained.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates excellent judgment and decision-making skills
- Proficient in English written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to lead/manage others
- Extensive knowledge of production operations involved in the cement manufacturing process including kiln burning techniques and processes, mill grinding, process control design, inventory estimation using geometric calculations and machines utilized in the production process.
- Knowledge of air permit regulations and safety requirements. Knowledge of Heat Transfer functions and calculations, and calculations of mill systems and grinding media preferred
- Ability to calculate heat and mass balances as well as air and gas volumes preferred.
- 5 or more years of experience in supervisory position in a production department of a cement or related industry plant facility. (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree in a science or engineering field (Required)
Ash Grove Cement is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Who We Are
Get what you want out of life with a global company building the world Imagine leveraging your military background and experience at a company that is building the world’s largest bridges, highways and skyscrapers.
We’re hiring the next generation of plant managers, engineers and operations experts.