QC Technician for Concrete Plant (South Austin) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Austin, TX 78721, US
Provide inspection, testing services, and documentation for ready mix plant facilities. Develop and maintain relationships with key customers, facility managers, DOT personnel, State, County, and Municipal personnel. Develop and maintain relationships with material suppliers. The Quality Control Technician will assist the company in elevating the customers’ perception and general quality of our mix designs, achieving the elimination of lost loads, the generation of backup data necessary for mix optimization and overseeing the inspection process of DOT jobs.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Create an attitude of Safety, contribute to the safe operation of the department; maintain a safe, clean work area.
- Use accepted methods to inspect, sample, and test materials for the purpose of quality control.
- Sample and test mixtures to stay in compliance with contract specifications and quality control tolerance.
- Follow quality control plans and guidelines as assigned.
- Responsible for ensuring the proper mix design, scale weights and water demand of mix designs at batch plants.
- Performs physical tests on ready mix concrete at plant, such as slump, entrained air, unit weight and yield, time of setting and compressive strength.
- At point of delivery, spot checks sample physical properties as above and discusses necessary adjustments in batch weights with Manager, plus observes workability, finish ability, and contractor’s use or misuse of product.
- Performs on-site surveys of fleets and facilities producing products so as to be able to identify delivery problems and recommend solutions.
- Performs physical tests on ready mix concrete aggregates, such as gradations, decants, sand equivalency, specific gravity and density, absorption.
- Monitor and test process functions and materials daily to ensure our products meet or exceed requirements of the appropriate agency or customer.
- Prepare and record accurate information; maintain test results database./ Keeps a written daily log of activities and observations.
- Obtain required certifications in a timely manner.
- Maintain all laboratory equipment, keeping track of all certification paperwork on lab scales and other equipment that requires annual re-certification.
- Follow directions of manager as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific duty.
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task.
- Follow all company policies and OSHA / MSHA regulations for safe working procedures.
- Develops and maintains appropriate working relationship so that individuals will be able to inform Distribution, Production and/or Sales of conditions that could adversely affect good, efficient delivery service and take necessary action to correct the condition.
- Investigates and reports complaints pertaining to quantity, quality, or performance.
- Writes job inspection reports when required.
- Maintains QA/QC databases.
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Education/Experience
- Minimum or high school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- ACI Field Grade I Testing Technician
- ACI Aggregate or Laboratory Certification; NRMCA Certification is a plus
- Experience in the collection, testing and reporting of concrete and/or aggregate samples.
- Must obtain and maintain DOT certifications required to test concrete as required by state regulations.
- Less than one year of experience in a related field is required.
- Must be 18 years in age or older.
- Must pass pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
- Must be able to provide valid documentation for Form I-9.
- Must have strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Must be willing to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Must have valid driver’s license and meet the qualifications of the fleet safety program.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls.
- Compliance with all OSHA and/or MSHA regulations.
- Must know and understand all DOT regulations, such as sampling frequency, sampling methods, graduation requirements, quality requirements, etc.
- Working knowledge of ACI, ASTM, DOT and Regional standards and specifications.
- Knowledge of the aggregate and concrete manufacturing process.
- Proven ability to develop relationships and to work with teams as both a leader and a participant.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills; building rapport, listening, presenting, giving, and receiving feedback.
- Must be able to perform simple mathematic calculations.
- Must have or acquire basic computer skills and be able to work with e-mail and simple spreadsheets.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to manipulate objects or controls, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear.
- May require sitting for extended periods of time.
- Lift, carry and hold materials, tools and supplies.
- Vision abilities (with correction) include close, distance, peripheral, depth, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to hold weights of 5-10lbs in a stretched arm position for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift 75 lbs (minimum) on a repetitive basis.
- Able to stand on hard surfaces for extended periods of time.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- Able to work extended hours if needed.
- Job hazards include exposure to dust, noise, fumes, and all weather conditions.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
- A diverse and inclusive culture that values opportunity for growth, development, and internal promotion
Texas Materials, a CRH Company, is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Who We Are
Get what you want out of life with a global company building the world Imagine leveraging your military background and experience at a company that is building the world’s largest bridges, highways and skyscrapers.
We’re hiring the next generation of plant managers, engineers and operations experts.